Frequently asked questions….
Filament is proud of its reputation for producing high-quality and successful books in all major genres. We accept new books to join our growing family of titles where:
• Their title is consistent with Filament’s publishing policy and values
• The book passes our editorial quality thresholds
• The project is one to which we can add value
• The project is viable and has the potential to be profitable for all
• The author has a clearly defined market for their publication
• The author is active in building and engaging with a following on social media
• The author has built a profile online and in the media
• The author is prepared to work in partnership with us to bring their products to market
• There is sufficient lead‐in time prior to the launch date to allow time for all necessary marketing and PR to take place
Our Senior Editor for submissions is Olivia Eisinger – Email: Olivia@filamentpublishing.com
Even in this digital age, there is nothing that will give you more credibility than being seen as the author of a professionally published book. No eBook on its own will do it, and self-publishing deprives you of the endorsement that an established international publisher provides. There is also the danger with self-publishing, that you could even damage your reputation by producing a book that does not reflect your brand values.
Every new book is a start-up business
With every new business you need a vision, a plan and a business model. You also need to know the investment you need to make and the return you get on that investment. You need to plan for profitability right from the start. Our Author Business Coaching programme give you clarity on the process, the marketplace and the practical steps you will need to take to achieve your goal. You can’t afford to leave anything to chance.
Return on your investment
There are many ways through which we will help you turn your investment into profit. One of the ways to turn a profit is through the books which are sold directly by you through the routes to market that you control ie – face to face, via your website, email marketing, social media, your Book Preview widget, joint ventures, your public speaking events, training in schools and colleges, and strategic partnerships. These are your most profitable sales.
Profit to the author from these sales for a book selling at £14.99, is on average, £10 per copy. So, if you were to sell just 14 books per week through all of these sources, you would cover your costs within one year.
However, when you add to this the profit that you will make worldwide by sales through the book trade, plus new speaking opportunities that you will attract as a result of being seen as the expert in your field, as well as the impact that your new status will have on your consultancy work, our experience shows that you will recover your costs much earlier.
The book will then go on to make a profit each subsequent year and continue to raise your visibility as an expert, speaker and consultant. Our first-time authors are always pleasantly surprised at the impact this will make. The first thing that journalists ask when looking for someone to interview is, “Do they have a book?”
• Does the author have an existing track record of sales through bookshops?
• Does the author have a high profile in the media – press and TV?
• Is the author very active online and on social media, with a substantial following on social media?
The book carries the publisher’s imprint and is distributed to the book trade worldwide by the publisher. It is not ‘self-published’!
With Partnership Publishing;
- the author is in charge of their project – the publisher is there for help and advice
- the author manages their project using a cloud-based project management system and can be as ‘hands-on’ (or not) as they choose
- the author has direct contact with all the specialists on their project team – such as the editor, layout artist, cover designer, proofreader, PR expert, web designer, videographer etc.
- the author chooses those tasks they are the best person to do, and outsources the rest
- all rights remain the property of the author – no rights get signed away. The author licenses the publisher to manage rights on their behalf
- you have a choice of business models – one size does not fit all
- you receive training to enable you to be self-sufficient in all the skills and processes you will need to be a successful ‘Author-preneur’
- Countdown to Launch programme – covering the build-up to publication day
- Post-publication – media and PR, supply chain management, fulfilment and distribution, and ongoing training and support are provided.
For authors that only want to outsource one or more processes, we offer a ‘pick and mix’ menu of services to choose from on a pay-as-you-go basis.
By packaging a number of services together, it is possible to offer economies of scale. We can quote for a bespoke package with your selection from the menu of services.
Alternatively, you can select from the ready-made packages, based on what the majority of our authors ask for.
Filament provides a range of unbranded services to help micro-publisher to create and distribute their own titles through all channels.
Filament does not offer Self Publishing Services but can introduce authors the Self-Distribution services offered by AuthorCraft, the Professional Network for Authors, which provides member to member services such as editorial development, book design, printing and overseas distribution. It also offers book marketing and publicity services.
No matter what genre you are writing in, what is essential is that, well in advance of publication, you have built up a significant following on social media and have all of the basic communication platforms in place to build and engage with your followers.
At Filament, we understand that for the authors to make informed business choices, they need to have facts and options. This is why we have author business coaches to help to build a profitable business from the start.
Don’t forget that the source of a book sale will determine what it is worth to you. The book that you sell on your website, through your email marketing, at the back of the room at your speaking events and all the other routes to market that you control, are worth the most to you – up to 70% profit on each book. However, the books that you sell through third-party retailers, like bookshops or online bookshops, give you only around 10% on a sale. Far less exciting! You need to make sure that you have all of your own channels in place if you are to earn the maximum return.
As with any business, you also need to know your costs and outgoings. Don’t forget to factor in carriage and postage costs, for example, as they can eat away at your profits. Treat your author business as a start-up business, and it will look after you well.
Book a ‘Curiosity Call’ with a Publisher – without any obligation!
Filament Publishing are one of the few publishers who are pleased to accept unsolicited manuscripts in all genres.
All submissions need to be in an electronic format (ie Word document) and not on paper. You can attach your manuscript to this form using the links below.
In order for our editorial team to evaluate your manuscript, we will need a Reader’s Report, from an independent editor. If you do not currently have a Reader’s Report, we can arrange this to be done for you. Depending on the number of words, and the genre, this will cost between £100 to £200. A readers’ Report is invaluable to both the author and the publisher.
Once your manuscript has been accepted by the editorial team, we will contact you with a Proposal for publishing.Terms of Business
To contact us
By telephone: +44 (0)208 688 2598
By email email@example.com
By Skype chrisdaycreative
BookFlow is our own unique global book distribution platform. It brings together all of our many print and distribution partners around the world into one portal to enables us to get your title found and distributed through the book trade in 220 countries.