What are the different ways to get published?
• Does the author have an existing track record of sales through bookshops?
• Does the author have a high profile in the media – press and TV?
• Is the author very active online and on social media, with a substantial following on social media?
The book carries the publisher’s imprint and is distributed to the book trade worldwide by the publisher. It is not ‘self-published’!
With Partnership Publishing;
- the author is in charge of their project – the publisher is there for help and advice
- the author manages their project using a cloud-based project management system and can be as ‘hands-on’ (or not) as they choose
- the author has direct contact with all the specialists on their project team – such as the editor, layout artist, cover designer, proofreader, PR expert, web designer, videographer etc.
- the author chooses those tasks they are the best person to do, and outsources the rest
- all rights remain the property of the author – no rights get signed away. The author licenses the publisher to manage rights on their behalf
- you have a choice of business models – one size does not fit all
- you receive training to enable you to be self-sufficient in all the skills and processes you will need to be a successful ‘Author-preneur’
- Countdown to Launch programme – covering the build-up to publication day
- Post-publication – media and PR, supply chain management, fulfilment and distribution, and ongoing training and support are provided.
For authors that only want to outsource one or more processes, we offer a ‘pick and mix’ menu of services to choose from on a pay-as-you-go basis.
By packaging a number of services together, it is possible to offer economies of scale. We can quote for a bespoke package with your selection from the menu of services.
Alternatively, you can select from the ready-made packages, based on what the majority of our authors ask for.
Filament provide a range of unbranded services to help micro-publisher to create and distribute their own titles through all channels.
For authors who choose to self-publish, Filament is happy to provide individual services such as editorial development, book design, printing and overseas distribution. We do also offer book marketing and publicity services.
No matter what genre you are writing in, what is essential is that, well in advance of publication, you have built up a significant following on social media and have all of the basic communication platforms in place to build and engage with your followers.
At Filament, we understand that for the authors to make informed business choices, they need to have facts and options. This is why we have author business coaches to help to build a profitable business from the start.
Don’t forget that the source of a book sale will determine what it is worth to you. The book that you sell on your website, through your email marketing, at the back of the room at your speaking events and all the other routes to market that you control, are worth the most to you – up to 70% profit on each book. However, the books that you sell through third-party retailers, like bookshops or online bookshops, give you only around 10% on a sale. Far less exciting! You need to make sure that you have all of your own channels in place if you are to earn the maximum return.
As with any business, you also need to know your costs and outgoings. Don’t forget to factor in carriage and postage costs, for example, as they can eat away at your profits. Treat your author business as a start-up business, and it will look after you well.
Filament Publishing are one of the few publishers who are pleased to accept unsolicited manuscripts in all genres.
All submissions need to be in an electronic format (ie Word document) and not on paper. You can attach your manuscript to this form using the links below.
In order for our editorial team to evaluate your manuscript, we will need a Reader’s Report, from an independent editor. If you do not currently have a Reader’s Report, we can arrange this to be done for you. Depending on the number of words, and the genre, this will cost between £100 to £200. A readers’ Report is invaluable to both the author and the publisher.
Once your manuscript has been accepted by the editorial team, we will contact you with a Proposal for Publishing.
Want to talk?